Monday, February 11, 2008

Am I related to Hunter S Thompson?


Prolific writer, (sub?) cultural icon, creator of Gonzo journalism - ring a bell?? Think: "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Ok so, long story short, I saw a documentary on Mr. Thompson last night and found myself wishing, intensely, that I were more like him. Not in the over-drugged, gun-loving/shooting, suicidal way but in the avant-garde, creative, wildly imaginative, adventurous way. The way of Jack Kerouac and now maybe Dave Eggers (who I just read is making movie with the author of "being john malcovich" and "adaptation" based on the children's book "where the wild things are" - sounds like a must-see, right?). Anyway. It struck a chord. Do I stifle any sense of creativity to ensure I'm liked? Maybe instead of asking myself WWSJPW (What Would Sarah Jessica Parker Wear) I should be asking WWHTW (What would Heather/Hunter (S) Thompson Wear)? For a start, I should pick up a pair of groovy shades!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...fair enough. Although in election speak, you're really alienating your base by abandoning the WWSJPW mantra. ;-) Plus, groovy shades arent worn exclusively by sub-cultural icons...