Saturday, May 31, 2008

REAL Coney Island corn dogs! Jealous?


My only reference to Coney Island before moving to New York was from that Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant movie (2 Weeks Notice) and corn dogs. Right. So not a lot. Then I realized on my way home from school one day that the F Train ends at - wait for it - Coney Island! Oh, and my favorite piece of subway art?? See above. To top it all off, my roommate went to CI on Memorial Day. So I figured the stars were aligned. It was time.

With sunscreen and beach towel in hand, I headed out to Coney Island. Unsure of what to expect, I was completely won over. It was charming. Sure, it was a little frightening as far as crowds of people can go with scary carneys sans teeth, oily-faced teens and braless women but there was also a boardwalk, the lacy outlines of ferris wheels against the sky and my personal favorite - the ocean. Waves, sand, boats, piers...I'm a sucker for all of it. Plus it has this rich, crazy history. Seriously. Google it. (2 Weeks Notice is also a good reference :) That (along with indoor bathrooms) and my eternal love for the beach make Coney Island one of my favorite New York adventures thus far!

No comments: