Sunday, October 2, 2011

McLeod's Daughters


I've spent the last month watching the first two seasons of an Australian (what can only be described as) soap opera entitled McLeod's Daughters. And, before you start the teasing, let me remind you that I was gushing about Twilight long before many of you had ever heard about teen vampires let alone worn your "I heart Edward Cullen" tee shirts. It's about 2 sisters (the McLeod's) running a "station" with only women. They fix tractors, train horses, shear sheep, round up cattle and of course, get 'rescued' practically every episode by the really hot neighboring Ryan brothers. It's super cheesy and bears all the traits of daytime television including and not limited to; long-lost sisters, pseudo-incestuous relationships (I can explain, the younger McLeod sister had a brief fling with the older Ryan brother (of the neighboring "spread") but she's really destined to be with the younger Ryan brother, anyway, her older sister is actually destined to be with the older brother in the first place...see?!) fires, torrid affairs, car AND helicopter crashes, stampedes, thieves, long-lost fathers, betrayals. Right. Sooo...I love it!

Oh, and the fashion - it's amazing. No, really. These shows are from a decade ago and are meant to portray rural life in southern Australia - but there's something timeless (not to mention, sexy) about apparel worn for function over fashion, sleeping under the stars and pursuing your dreams no matter how hard you have to work for them.
McLeod's Daughters



PS: I reckon an oilskin duster coat is just what I need to make it through another NY winter!
PPS: I sort of want to speak like I'm from the Australian bush. Favorite phrases include:
"I reckon" = I think
"I'm stuffed" = I'm screwed! or I messed up
"Rack off" = Ummm, you can figure that one out, right?
"Righto" = alright or sure thing - not sure it would sound right without the Aussie accent, though...

No comments: